Attention: For textbook, access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
The purpose of this illustrated volume of first-hand recollections is to increase appreciation in the world for Rudolf Steinerâs artistic contributions to modern culture. The authors represented in Conversations about Painting with Rudolf Steiner offer insights into Steiner's intentions as he responded to artistsâ questions about the deeper, spiritual aspects of painting, color, and role of the arts as a whole in culture and society.
Peter Stebbingâs inspiration for translating these conversations was an early reading of Hilde Boos-Hamburgerâs book on Steinerâs ânew art impulseâ (included here). Through the years, Stebbing also came to recognize the importance of other artists who were influenced by Steiner. Margarita Voloschin, for example, describes the inner transformation required of artists who wish to deepen their artistic sensibilities as described by Rudolf Steiner. Henni Geck, though she wrote little on art, is an important figure in this school of artistic renewal through having elicited numerous training sketches from Steiner. Assya Turgenieff was a pioneer artist who worked with stained glass. Her discussion of the artistic approach she usedâwhich incorporated both color and sculpting techniquesâcan be applied to other visual arts as well.
Conversations about Painting with Rudolf Steiner is an extraordinary contribution to a deeper understanding of the âanthroposophicâ arts. Richly illustrated, this volume will warrant serious study and frequent rereading and browsing. A great book for the coffee table.
- MARIA STRAKOSCH-GIESLER
- âIndications Given by Rudolf Steiner to a Painterâ
- âA Color Meditation Given by Rudolf Steinerâ
- âThe Human Form and Colorâ
- âRecollections of Two Lectures by Rudolf Steiner on Paintingâ
- âAbout Maria Strakosch-Gieslerâ by Peter Stebbing
- âPreliminary Remarksâ
- âExperiences in Painting the Cupolas of the First Goetheanumâ
- âThe Struggle for the Underlying Principles of a New Spiritualized Painting Impulseâ
- âSome Experiences in Teaching Older Childrenâ
- âAbout Hilde Boos-Hamburgerâ by Roy Wilkinson & Jan Pohl
- âThe Sketches Given by Rudolf Steiner 1922â1924â
- âThe Motif Sketches of Rudolf Steinerâ by Fritz Billing
- âThe Work in Painting at the Goetheanum with Henni Geckâ by Clara Bosshardt
- âOn Studying in Henni Geckâs Painting Schoolâ by Gerard Wagner
- âAbout Henni Geckâ by Ernst Marti
- âRecollections of the Teacherâ by Walter Roggenkamp
- âThoughts on Methodâ by Bettina Roder
- âHenni Geckâs Questâ by Ingrid Stinzing-Eriksson
- âMemory-Pictures from a Time of Intensive Workâ
- âHow Rudolf Steiner Himself Painted in the Small Cupolaâ by Luise Clason
- âAbout Margarita Voloschinâ by Rosemarie Wermbter
- âWorking on âLight and Darkââ
- âRecollections of the Beginning of Studies in Light and Darkâ
- âA Drawing Class with Rudolf Steinerâ by Daniel J. van Bemmelen
- âAbout Assya Turgenieffâ by Jakob Streit & Christiane Haid